12Law Arrow 12Law Arrow  Easy Questions  
12Law Arrow 12Law Arrow Instant Legal Documents

Cohabitation Agreement coming soon!
Separation Agreement coming soon!
No-Fault Divorce coming soon!
Bankruptcy coming soon!

Do I Need a Lawyer to File for Child Support in Abbott, TX

Do I Need a Lawyer to File for Child Support in Abbott, TX

You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
- Maya Angelou

In many scenarios it is not required to have a lawyer to file for child support. You can file for child support yourself by filing the appropriate forms at your local Probate and Family Court.

You can also get orders for: 1) protection from abuse; 2) establishing paternity; 3) custody and visitation; 4) divorce; and 5) modification of an existing child support order if circumstances have changed. After you file your complaint, you may need to get it served by a sheriff or a constable. While there may be filing fees involved, you may be able to get them waived if your income is low or if you are on public assistance.

Many judges are patient and understanding with plaintiffs who do not have a lawyer. Child support is usually a standard calculation based on expenses and income and the court can help in enforcing the support collection.The federal Family Support Act of 1988 required every state to establish numerical child support guidelines. The guidelines are designed to overcome three of the persistent problems in the award of child support: 1) insufficient levels of support; 2) inconsistency of criteria used by judges; and 3) inefficiency in the adjudication of child support. They also serve to make the process more straightforward for custodial parents seeking child support without a lawyer.

The state guidelines are designed to balance the child's needs and the non-custodial parents' ability to pay. In most states, the basic child support obligation is calculated by combining the incomes of the parents and multiplying that figure by the percentages set forth in the guidelines. These percentages vary according to the number of children. This number, the total child support obligation due, is then assigned to the parents according to the proportion of their individual contributions to the parents' total income. The guidelines may be modified to award additional support for 1) child-care expenses; 2) maintenance of health and life insurance, or reimbursement of health-care expenses; 3) private school and college tuition; and 4) child-care expenses for parents seeking work.

Courts have the discretion to deviate from the guidelines for unique circumstances such as: 1) educational needs of either parent; 2) the needs of other children supported by the noncustodial parent; 3) extraordinary expenses required for the noncustodial parent to visit their children. In most cases, child support is awarded based on wages of the noncustodial parent reported on income tax returns.

Support is based on parenthood not marriage and may be awarded during or after a marriage, in a divorce proceeding, or in a separate support proceeding whether or not the parties have ever been married. The proceeding is usually relatively simple, because the issues are generally limited to the application of guidelines percentages to the income of the parents. In most states, the court will order that the child support be deducted from the noncustodial parent's wages by their employer and transmitted automatically to the custodial parent.

If the noncustodial parent falls behind on child support payments, there are many enforcement vehicles available in most states. These include income garnishing (deducting money from the noncustodial parent's wages), making a negative report to credit reporting agencies, collecting past-due child support from lottery prizes, intercepting tax refunds, seizing property (e.g. real estate and bank accounts), etc.

Many states have a parent locator service. If the noncustodial parent lives in a different state, the Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act ("URESA") or a comparable statuteprovides for interstate collection of child support.

Transfers of assets to avoid payment of child support can often be set aside by a court. Furthermore, if the court determines that a parent transferred away resources to avoid child support obligations, that could form the basis for a finding of willful violation of a court order and result in a jail sentence.

Contact your local child support enforcement agency for more information.

If you are the noncustodial parent who is faced with child support that is more than you can pay, it may be possible to get the support order lowered to a more manageable level, especially if circumstances have changed.

Only you can decide if hiring a lawyer is right for you. Check out 12Law.com for listings of lawyers in your neighborhood.
Personalize & Print a Free TX Last Will Create This Document
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10
Personalize & Print a Free TX Living Will Create This Document
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Related Legal Services near Abbott, TX
Medlenka Law Firm PC
1903 Central Dr Ste 304
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 685-9999
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
The Vida Law Firm PLLC
3000 Central Dr
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 358-9977
Attorneys,  Bankruptcy Services,  Bankruptcy Law Attorneys,  Financial Services,  Taxes-Consultants
Jbb Immigration Law Firm
1909 Central Dr
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 684-9500
Immigration Law Attorneys, Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Davis Leigh Warren
1901 Central Dr # 708
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 868-9500
Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys
Miller Robert T
1244 Harwood Rd
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 868-9400
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Parker McDonald Law
2317 Plaza Pkwy
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 503-9200
Attorneys Referral & Information Service, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Carinhas Jack G Jr Law Offices
302 Kings Hwy
Brownsville, TX 78521
(956) 542-9161
Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Touchy Law Firms LLC
2039 E Price Rd
Brownsville, TX 78521
(956) 847-8947
Personal Injury Law Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Esquivel, Paul A. - Paul A. Esquivel
660 SW Military Dr Ste B
San Antonio, TX 78221
(210) 977-8887
Mark D. VanCleave, PLLC
606 Rollingbrook St # 1A
Baytown, TX 77521
(281) 303-8800
Attorneys,  Civil Litigation & Trial Law Attorneys,  Business Law Attorneys,  Personal Injury Law At
Barrett Campbell
2904 Highway 121 Suite 200
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 657-8684
Attorneys, Family Law Attorneys, Wills, Trusts & Estate Planning Attorneys, General Practice Attorne
The Blenden Law Firm
2217 Harwood Rd
Bedford, TX 76021
(877) 249-8628
Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys, Legal Service Plans, Legal Clinics
Goetz Kendall
1833 Bedford Rd
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 545-8576
Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys
Mary Holland
1833 Bedford Rd Ste B
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 545-8576
Family Law Attorneys,  Adoption Law Attorneys,  Attorneys,  Wills, Trusts & Estate Planning Attorne
Kimberly A Mills Law Office
409 Harwood Rd
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 581-8222
General Practice Attorneys, Legal Service Plans, Divorce Assistance, Attorneys, Family Law Attorneys
Lacy Jeff
1903 Central Dr # 308
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 685-7996
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys
Berry Chad
3001 Brown Trl
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 281-7902
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys
The Bonner Law Firm
4820 Old Spanish Trl
Houston, TX 77021
(713) 842-7700
Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys
Denise F Graves
4721 Garth Rd Ste C400
Baytown, TX 77521
(281) 839-7664
Criminal Law Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Gray & Gray
1903 Central Drive, Suite 303
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 354-7400
Criminal Law Attorneys, Immigration Law Attorneys, Juvenile Law Attorneys, Traffic Law Attorneys
Smith Robert H
3433 Gladstone Ln
Amarillo, TX 79121
(806) 379-6677
Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Scott Richard
1903 Central Dr
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 318-6655
Automobile Accident Attorneys,  Attorneys,  Accident & Property Damage Attorneys,  Personal Injury L
Myers & Porter LLP
2120 Parkwood Dr
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 545-6394
Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys
Steven T Polino
3216 Prince Ct
Bedford, TX 76021
(817) 992-6359
Attorneys, Bankruptcy Law Attorneys
12Law.com   |  NASHVILLE, TN USA   |  CONTACT US