Easy Questions  
Free Legal Documents

Coverage of Living Will and Power of Attorney for Health Care in Adna, WA

Coverage of Living Will and Power of Attorney for Health Care in Adna, WA

Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.
- Shannon L. Alder

A living will or health care declaration is a written document indicating the terms of medical care that you want or do not want. This will be enacted if you are already unable to make medical decisions for yourself. Making this type of document can familiarize you with the different medical procedures used to for patients who are seriously ill.

Life Prolonging Medical Care

At the end of your life, you will have options regarding life prolonging treatments including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), blood transfusions and blood products, dialysis, use of respirator, diagnostic testing, drug administration and surgery. The purpose of your living will and advance health directives are for you to think through these choices well in advance and then to specify those choices so health care professionals can act on your wishes.

Food and Water

If you happen to be in a coma or close to death after a serious illness, you may not able to survive without food and water. Unless it was indicated that treatments should be withheld in the living will, the doctor will sustain your life through intravenous (IV) feeding or tubes to provide nutrients and fluids.

IV feeding method is a short term procedure that introduces fluid to the body through the arms and legs. Tube feeding however has indefinite time frame. This method of sustenance can prolong the lives of unconscious patients for years. Refraining from feeding the patient will result in death due to dehydration and not starvation.

Your health care documents can specify whether you want to be artificially providedwith food and water or whether you would like them to be withheld. This can be a very difficult decision for most people. You will not be denied food and water unless you specify that iswhat you want.

Pain Management

If a natural death is what you wish, life prolonging interventions will be withheld. Pain management, also called palliative care, will still continue until the end. This is a treatment to forgo pain and make death as comfortable as possible.

Palliative care emphasizes quality of life by helping the patient remain pain free and comfortable when he or she finally breathes their last breath. This can be administered in the hospital or at home.

Choosing a palliative care as part of your living is another choice that requires contemplation and understanding. You can specify your wishes about this treatment when you make your living will.

DNR Orders and POLST Forms

A do not resuscitate (DNR) order is a request to not administer life-prolonging treatment. This document can notify health care professionals about your wish to not receive cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) when a medical emergency occurs.

If you are in the hospital, the DNR order can be added to your medical chart by your doctor. However, if you are not hospitalized, you should make a pre-hospital DNR order to inform the medical staff about your wishes. Wearing a Medic-Alert bracelet, anklet or necklace can also help inform them about the DNR order.

A POLST form or the "Physicians Order for Life-Sustaining Treatment" has been rapidly replacing DNR order in an increasing number of states in the U.S.

POLST forms have broader coverage compared to a DNR order because aside from CPR, it contains additional directions for other life prolonging treatments. The document will inform health care providers about your other treatment options. These life prolonging treatments include antibiotic use, feeding tubes or intubation.

POLST can act, but not completely, like an advance health care directive or living will.

Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care

Naming a health agent can be done when using a durable power of attorney for health care. This health agent will be the one to oversee your wishes and has the authority to make medical decisions for you. Most people who name a health care agent give them comprehensive power to supervise their care.

Their authority can be limited, depending on the specific clauses included in the document. This means that your health care agent will be able to:

  • Refuse or consent to medical treatments that can affect your mental and physical health
  • Hire and fire medical personnel
  • Visit you anytime in the medical facility you are in without restriction
  • Access medical and personal records
  • Obtain court intervention if your living will or the agent's authority is not being honored by the hospital or doctor.
  • Organ Donation and Body Disposition

    The health agent's authority will end upon your death. However, in some states it is still their responsibility to oversee the disposition of the body. That includes autopsy and organ donation which you can also include when you make your power of attorney document. When you have some specific wishes regarding this, you may write it down as part of the document so that your health agent can implement it after you pass away.

    Personalize & Print a Free WA Power of Attorney Download this Document
    Page 1
    Page 2
    Page 3
    Page 4
    Page 5
    Personalize & Print a Free WA Living Will Download this Document
    Page 1
    Page 2
    Page 3
    Page 4
    Page 5
    Page 6
    Page 7
    Page 8
    Related Articles:
     What is a Last Will and Testament?
     What is a Power of Attorney?
     Definition of a Living Trust
     Definition of Last Will and Testament
     Overview of Estate Planning
     Overview of Living Wills and Powers of Attorney for Health Care
     Do I Need a Living Trust?
     FAQs on Living Trust
     A Primer on Estate & Inheritance Taxes
     Benefits of a Living Trust
     Communicating Your Estate Planning Wishes to Your Heirs
     Composing Your Last Will and Testament
     Deciding Whether a Pre-Nuptial Agreement is Right for You
     Different Types of Health Care Directives
     Do I Need a Lawyer for a Prenuptial Agreement?
     Do I Need a Lawyer to Buy or Sell a Home?
     Do I Need a Lawyer to Create a Power of Attorney?
     Do I Need a Lawyer to File for Bankruptcy?
     Do I Need a Lawyer to Make a Will?
     Do I Need a Probate Lawyer?
     Do-Not-Resuscitate Orders
     Elements of a Last Will and Testament
     Essential Legal Documents for Estate Planning
     Estate Taxes, Gift Taxes and Inheritance Taxes
     Final Requirements of Your Health Care Directives
     Five Essential Estate Planning Documents
     Honoring Your Health Care Documents
     How to Choose a Health Care Agent
     How to Prevent Family Feuds over Inherited Properties
     How to Secure Your Assets and Avoid Probate
     Limitations of a Will
     Living Wills for End-of-Life Medical Decisions
     Longevity and modern family relationships make estate planning harder than ever
     POLST form and Health Care Treatment
     Registering your Living Will or Advance Health Directives
     Rules of Eligibility on Medicaid
     Twelve Things to Know About Revocable Living Trusts
     What are Charitable Gifts and Trusts?
     Why I Need a Living Will
     You Owe it to Your Loved Ones to do Estate and Inheritance Planning
    Related Legal Services near Adna, WA
    Crittenden William J Atty
    300 E Pine St
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 628-9500
    Groff Murphy Trachtenberg
    300 E Pine St
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 628-9500
    Litigation & Tort Attorneys, Attorneys
    Dubester Judith
    710 33rd Ave
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 324-9457
    Donnelly Kevin P
    2014 E Madison St Ste 100
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 341-9398
    Criminal Law Attorneys, Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys
    Donovan Thomas W
    4818 Slayden Rd NE
    Tacoma, WA 98422
    (253) 988-8873
    Erin Fairley, Attorney
    121 Lakeside Ave S, Suite 108
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 535-7929
    Elder Law Attorneys, Probate Law Attorneys, Estate Planning Attorneys
    Lindquist Law, P
    1708 Bellevue Ave
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 709-7700
    Personal Injury Law Attorneys, Attorneys
    Dibartolo Laura L
    13807 S Finney St
    Medical Lake, WA 99022
    (509) 299-7657
    Seattle Community Law Center
    1820 E Pine St Ste 200981
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 686-7252
    General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys
    L. M. Jones, LLC - LaDonna Jones
    520 E Denny Way
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 725-6940
    Litigation & Tort Attorneys, Attorneys, Accident & Property Damage Attorneys, Personal Injury Law At
    Farr Law Offices
    3255 Griffin Ave
    Enumclaw, WA 98022
    (360) 825-6581
    Wills, Trusts & Estate Planning Attorneys, Business Law Attorneys, Estate Planning, Probate, & Livin
    Leen & O'Sullivan, PLLC
    520 East Denny Way
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 325-6022
    Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
    Hart Trip
    1224 Griffin Ave
    Enumclaw, WA 98022
    (360) 825-5581
    General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys
    Cone Gilreath
    105 E 1st St # 1
    Cle Elum, WA 98922
    (509) 674-5501
    Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
    Ellis Darrel R
    105 E 1st St # 1
    Cle Elum, WA 98922
    (509) 674-5501
    Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
    Advocates Law Group, P
    121 Lakeside Ave
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 353-4625
    Attorneys, Probate Law Attorneys, Wills, Trusts & Estate Planning Attorneys, Legal Service Plans, Es
    Squire Park Business Law Ofc
    907 14th Ave
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 818-4473
    Gearheard Law Office
    1206 Wells St
    Enumclaw, WA 98022
    (360) 284-4359
    Personal Injury Law Attorneys, Civil Litigation & Trial Law Attorneys, Attorneys
    Bankruptcy Attorney For Seattle Area
    530 E. Denny Way
    East Union, WA 98122
    (206) 504-3760
    Bankruptcy Law Attorneys, Attorneys
    Holland Dale J
    1837 Cole St # B
    Enumclaw, WA 98022
    (360) 825-3757
    Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys
    Peel & Brimley
    2014 E Madison St Ste 100
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 770-3339
    Attorneys,  Legal Service Plans,  Business Law Attorneys,  Arbitration Services,  Real Estate Attorn
    Brock Carpenter & Mc Guire
    529 Morgan St
    Davenport, WA 99122
    (509) 725-3101
    General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
    Stenberg Ann
    6109 21st Ave NE
    Tacoma, WA 98422
    (253) 952-2912
    Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys
    Schuchman Lisa E
    520 E Denny Way
    Seattle, WA 98122
    (206) 325-2801
    12Law.com   |  NASHVILLE, TN USA   |  CONTACT US