Easy Questions  
Free Legal Documents

Coverage of Living Will and Power of Attorney for Health Care in Attica, KS

Coverage of Living Will and Power of Attorney for Health Care in Attica, KS

Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.
- Shannon L. Alder

A living will or health care declaration is a written document indicating the terms of medical care that you want or do not want. This will be enacted if you are already unable to make medical decisions for yourself. Making this type of document can familiarize you with the different medical procedures used to for patients who are seriously ill.

Life Prolonging Medical Care

At the end of your life, you will have options regarding life prolonging treatments including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), blood transfusions and blood products, dialysis, use of respirator, diagnostic testing, drug administration and surgery. The purpose of your living will and advance health directives are for you to think through these choices well in advance and then to specify those choices so health care professionals can act on your wishes.

Food and Water

If you happen to be in a coma or close to death after a serious illness, you may not able to survive without food and water. Unless it was indicated that treatments should be withheld in the living will, the doctor will sustain your life through intravenous (IV) feeding or tubes to provide nutrients and fluids.

IV feeding method is a short term procedure that introduces fluid to the body through the arms and legs. Tube feeding however has indefinite time frame. This method of sustenance can prolong the lives of unconscious patients for years. Refraining from feeding the patient will result in death due to dehydration and not starvation.

Your health care documents can specify whether you want to be artificially providedwith food and water or whether you would like them to be withheld. This can be a very difficult decision for most people. You will not be denied food and water unless you specify that iswhat you want.

Pain Management

If a natural death is what you wish, life prolonging interventions will be withheld. Pain management, also called palliative care, will still continue until the end. This is a treatment to forgo pain and make death as comfortable as possible.

Palliative care emphasizes quality of life by helping the patient remain pain free and comfortable when he or she finally breathes their last breath. This can be administered in the hospital or at home.

Choosing a palliative care as part of your living is another choice that requires contemplation and understanding. You can specify your wishes about this treatment when you make your living will.

DNR Orders and POLST Forms

A do not resuscitate (DNR) order is a request to not administer life-prolonging treatment. This document can notify health care professionals about your wish to not receive cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) when a medical emergency occurs.

If you are in the hospital, the DNR order can be added to your medical chart by your doctor. However, if you are not hospitalized, you should make a pre-hospital DNR order to inform the medical staff about your wishes. Wearing a Medic-Alert bracelet, anklet or necklace can also help inform them about the DNR order.

A POLST form or the "Physicians Order for Life-Sustaining Treatment" has been rapidly replacing DNR order in an increasing number of states in the U.S.

POLST forms have broader coverage compared to a DNR order because aside from CPR, it contains additional directions for other life prolonging treatments. The document will inform health care providers about your other treatment options. These life prolonging treatments include antibiotic use, feeding tubes or intubation.

POLST can act, but not completely, like an advance health care directive or living will.

Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care

Naming a health agent can be done when using a durable power of attorney for health care. This health agent will be the one to oversee your wishes and has the authority to make medical decisions for you. Most people who name a health care agent give them comprehensive power to supervise their care.

Their authority can be limited, depending on the specific clauses included in the document. This means that your health care agent will be able to:

  • Refuse or consent to medical treatments that can affect your mental and physical health
  • Hire and fire medical personnel
  • Visit you anytime in the medical facility you are in without restriction
  • Access medical and personal records
  • Obtain court intervention if your living will or the agent's authority is not being honored by the hospital or doctor.
  • Organ Donation and Body Disposition

    The health agent's authority will end upon your death. However, in some states it is still their responsibility to oversee the disposition of the body. That includes autopsy and organ donation which you can also include when you make your power of attorney document. When you have some specific wishes regarding this, you may write it down as part of the document so that your health agent can implement it after you pass away.

    Personalize & Print a Free KS Power of Attorney Download this Document
    Page 1
    Page 2
    Page 3
    Page 4
    Page 5
    Personalize & Print a Free KS Living Will Download this Document
    Page 1
    Page 2
    Page 3
    Page 4
    Page 5
    Page 6
    Page 7
    Page 8
    Related Articles:
     What is a Last Will and Testament?
     What is a Power of Attorney?
     Definition of a Living Trust
     Definition of Last Will and Testament
     Overview of Estate Planning
     Overview of Living Wills and Powers of Attorney for Health Care
     Do I Need a Living Trust?
     FAQs on Living Trust
     A Primer on Estate & Inheritance Taxes
     Benefits of a Living Trust
     Communicating Your Estate Planning Wishes to Your Heirs
     Composing Your Last Will and Testament
     Deciding Whether a Pre-Nuptial Agreement is Right for You
     Different Types of Health Care Directives
     Do I Need a Lawyer for a Prenuptial Agreement?
     Do I Need a Lawyer to Buy or Sell a Home?
     Do I Need a Lawyer to Create a Power of Attorney?
     Do I Need a Lawyer to File for Bankruptcy?
     Do I Need a Lawyer to Make a Will?
     Do I Need a Probate Lawyer?
     Do-Not-Resuscitate Orders
     Elements of a Last Will and Testament
     Essential Legal Documents for Estate Planning
     Estate Taxes, Gift Taxes and Inheritance Taxes
     Final Requirements of Your Health Care Directives
     Five Essential Estate Planning Documents
     Honoring Your Health Care Documents
     How to Choose a Health Care Agent
     How to Prevent Family Feuds over Inherited Properties
     How to Secure Your Assets and Avoid Probate
     Limitations of a Will
     Living Wills for End-of-Life Medical Decisions
     Longevity and modern family relationships make estate planning harder than ever
     POLST form and Health Care Treatment
     Registering your Living Will or Advance Health Directives
     Rules of Eligibility on Medicaid
     Twelve Things to Know About Revocable Living Trusts
     What are Charitable Gifts and Trusts?
     Why I Need a Living Will
     You Owe it to Your Loved Ones to do Estate and Inheritance Planning
    Related Legal Services near Attica, KS
    Colgan Law Firm
    11006 Parallel Pkwy Ste 202
    Kansas City, KS 66109
    (913) 721-9999
    Divorce Attorneys, Attorneys
    Consumer Law Center PA
    3706 SW Topeka Blvd
    Topeka, KS 66609
    (785) 266-9920
    Divorce Attorneys,  Attorneys,  Family Law Attorneys,  General Practice Attorneys
    Tonkin Jeffrey B Atty
    11904 Mohawk Ln
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 491-9410
    Gaughan Cundiff Herman & Connealy
    6731 W 121st St Ste 210
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 498-9146
    Accident & Property Damage Attorneys,  Attorneys,  Real Estate Attorneys,  Personal Injury Law Attor
    Colgan Law Firm LLC
    11006 Parallel Pkwy Ste 202
    Kansas City, KS 66109
    (913) 730-9082
    Attorneys,  Personal Injury Law Attorneys,  Criminal Law Attorneys,  DUI & DWI Attorneys,  Family La
    Robert R Laing Jr
    2100 Hutton Rd
    Kansas City, KS 66109
    Attorneys,  Criminal Law Attorneys,  Divorce Attorneys,  General Practice Attorneys,  Insurance,  Le
    Michael J Studtmann P.A.
    6235 W Kellogg Dr
    Wichita, KS 67209
    (316) 942-8400
    Personal Injury Law Attorneys, Attorneys, Criminal Law Attorneys
    Robert R Laing Jr
    2100 Hutton Rdste 102
    Kansas City, KS 66109
    (913) 815-8347
    Attorneys, Criminal Law Attorneys, Family Law Attorneys, Divorce Attorneys, General Practice Attorne
    Minihan Shawn E
    3706 SW Topeka Blvd # 300
    Topeka, KS 66609
    (785) 267-6444
    Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys
    Kathleen A Harvey
    7011 W 121st St Ste 102
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 491-6331
    Harvey Law Firm
    7011 W 121st. Ste. 102 , Overland Park
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 491-6331
    Immigration Law Attorneys
    Wendy Marvin Law Office
    6731 W 121st St
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 312-5660
    Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
    Uzo L. Ohaebosim
    6235 W. Kellogg
    Wichita, KS 67209
    (316) 261-5400
    Consumer Law Attorneys,  Accident & Property Damage Attorneys,  Civil Litigation & Trial Law Attorne
    Williamson Law Firm, LLC
    6235 W. Kellogg
    Wichita, KS 67209
    (316) 261-5400
    Accident & Property Damage Attorneys,  Civil Litigation & Trial Law Attorneys,  Personal Injury Law
    John F Michaels Chartered
    4252 W 124th Ter
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 663-4455
    Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
    Carroll Michele I
    4252 W 124th Ter
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 663-4455
    Harvey & Caldwell, PA
    7011 W 121st St Ste. 201
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 451-4400
    Accountants-Certified Public,  Tax Return Preparation,  Accounting Services,  Tax Return Preparation
    Smith Ronald D
    3706 SW Topeka Blvd
    Topeka, KS 66609
    (785) 266-4220
    Kreamer Karen
    12616 Juniper Cir
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 469-4066
    Snyder Law Firm
    13401 Mission Rd Ste 207
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 685-3900
    Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
    Shalton Solutions
    12008 Overbrook Rd
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 663-3318
    Elkins Marc E
    13020 El Monte St
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 897-2857
    Fowler Law Firm
    6740 W 121st St # 300
    Leawood, KS 66209
    (913) 498-2800
    Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
    Mccauley James
    10673 166th Rd
    Mayetta, KS 66509
    (785) 966-2341
    12Law.com   |  NASHVILLE, TN USA   |  CONTACT US