Easy Questions  
Free Legal Documents

Do I Need a Lawyer to File for Child Support in Adin, CA

Do I Need a Lawyer to File for Child Support in Adin, CA

You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
- Maya Angelou

You do not have to have a lawyer to file for child support. You can file for child support by going to your local Probate and Family Court, collect and fill out the forms and file them. You can also get orders for: 1) protection from abuse; 2) establishing paternity; 3) custody and visitation; 4) divorce; and 5) modification of an existing child support order if circumstances have changed. After you file your complaint, you may need to get it served by a sheriff or a constable. While there may be filing fees involved, you may be able to get them waived if your income is low or if you are on public assistance.

Many judges are patient and understanding with plaintiffs who do not have a lawyer. Child support is usually a standard calculation based on expenses and income and the court can help in enforcing the support collection.The federal Family Support Act of 1988 required every state to establish numerical child support guidelines. The guidelines are designed to overcome three of the persistent problems in the award of child support: 1) insufficient levels of support; 2) inconsistency of criteria used by judges; and 3) inefficiency in the adjudication of child support. They also serve to make the process more straightforward for custodial parents seeking child support without a lawyer.

The state guidelines are designed to balance the child's needs and the non-custodial parents' ability to pay. In most states, the basic child support obligation is calculated by combining the incomes of the parents and multiplying that figure by the percentages set forth in the guidelines. These percentages vary according to the number of children. This number, the total child support obligation due, is then assigned to the parents according to the proportion of their individual contributions to the parents' total income. The guidelines may be modified to award additional support for 1) child-care expenses; 2) maintenance of health and life insurance, or reimbursement of health-care expenses; 3) private school and college tuition; and 4) child-care expenses for parents seeking work.

Courts have the discretion to deviate from the guidelines for unique circumstances such as: 1) educational needs of either parent; 2) the needs of other children supported by the noncustodial parent; 3) extraordinary expenses required for the noncustodial parent to visit their children. In most cases, child support is awarded based on wages of the noncustodial parent reported on income tax returns.

Support is based on parenthood not marriage and may be awarded during or after a marriage, in a divorce proceeding, or in a separate support proceeding whether or not the parties have ever been married. The proceeding is usually relatively simple, because the issues are generally limited to the application of guidelines percentages to the income of the parents. In most states, the court will order that the child support be deducted from the noncustodial parent's wages by their employer and transmitted automatically to the custodial parent.

If the noncustodial parent falls behind on child support payments, there are many enforcement vehicles available in most states. These include income garnishing (deducting money from the noncustodial parent's wages), making a negative report to credit reporting agencies, collecting past-due child support from lottery prizes, intercepting tax refunds, seizing property (e.g. real estate and bank accounts), etc.

Many states have a parent locator service. If the noncustodial parent lives in a different state, the Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act ("URESA") or a comparable statuteprovides for interstate collection of child support.

Transfers of assets to avoid payment of child support can often be set aside by a court. Furthermore, if the court determines that a parent transferred away resources to avoid child support obligations, that could form the basis for a finding of willful violation of a court order and result in a jail sentence.

Contact your local child support enforcement agency for more information.

If you are the noncustodial parent who is faced with child support that is more than you can pay, it may be possible to get the support order lowered to a more manageable level, especially if circumstances have changed.

Only you can decide if hiring a lawyer is right for you. Check out 1-2-Law.com for listings of lawyers in your neighborhood.
Personalize & Print a Free CA Last Will Download this Document
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10
Personalize & Print a Free CA Living Will Download this Document
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Related Legal Services near Adin, CA
Klika Parrish & Bigelow
959 E Walnut St
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 796-9998
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Walton Lorrie A
2300 E Katella Ave # 435
Anaheim, CA 92806
(714) 978-9988
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys
Warshaw Adam
1918 W Magnolia Blvd # 101
Burbank, CA 91506
(818) 972-9927
Construction Law Attorneys, Attorneys
Schwartz Law Offices
9000-S Crow Canyon Road, No. 399
Danville, CA 94506
(831) 331-9909
Bankruptcy Law Attorneys,  Business Litigation Attorneys,  Divorce Attorneys,  Estate Planning Attor
Kobernick Todd E
2448 Historic Decatur Rd
San Diego, CA 92106
(619) 224-9889
Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Lum A Justin
1005 E Colorado Blvd # 209
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 395-9888
Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Attorneys, Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys, Legal Service Pl
Perera J Rex
900 W 17th St
Santa Ana, CA 92706
(714) 550-9830
Immigration Law Attorneys, Immigration & Naturalization Consultants, Attorneys
Cero Debts
1475 S State College Blvd
Anaheim, CA 92806
(714) 780-9756
Attorneys,  Business Bankruptcy Law Attorneys,  Bankruptcy Law Attorneys,  Bankruptcy Services
Mccabe Patricia
7100 Hayvenhurst Ave
Van Nuys, CA 91406
(818) 907-9726
Attorneys, Social Security & Disability Law Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys, Legal Service Pla
David J. Givot
3780 Kilroy Airport Way Suite 200
Long Beach, CA 90806
DUI & DWI Attorneys,  Drug Charges Attorneys,  Legal Service Plans,  Criminal Law Attorneys,  Attorn
Accident Recovery Legal Center Of Northern California
1184 Monroe St
Salinas, CA 93906
(888) 931-9675
Employee Benefits & Worker Compensation Attorneys,  Accident & Property Damage Attorneys,  Personal
Aria Law Group A Professional Law Corporation
260 Sheridan Avenue Suite 200
Palo Alto, CA 94306
(650) 391-9630
Business Law Attorneys,  Personal Injury Law Attorneys,  Estate Planning, Probate, & Living Trusts
Rosenberg Jas
1702 N Main St
Santa Ana, CA 92706
(714) 953-9561
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys
Matthew C. Mullhofer
2107 N Broadway
Santa Ana, CA 92706
(866) 698-9478
Attorneys, Tax Attorneys, Real Estate Attorneys, Legal Service Plans, Estate Planning Attorneys
Niswonger J
3233 Arlington Ave
Riverside, CA 92506
(951) 367-9441
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Joseph P Connolly Inc
1616 23rd St
San Pablo, CA 94806
(510) 234-9436
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys
Paralegals Who Care
12535 Oxnard St Apt 201
North Hollywood, CA 91606
(818) 505-9436
Peters Carol Atty
1100 E Green St # 1
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 793-9383
Attorneys, Legal Service Plans, Criminal Law Attorneys, Litigation & Tort Attorneys, Estate Planning
Attorney Assistance
2100 Embarcadero
Oakland, CA 94606
(510) 893-9333
Attorneys Referral & Information Service, General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys
Cleveland & Metz
3890 11th Street
Riverside, CA 92506
(951) 275-9262
Workers Compensation Assistance,  Accident & Property Damage Attorneys,  Employee Benefits & Worker
Corrons-Hickey & Hickey
930 W 17th St
Santa Ana, CA 92706
(714) 550-9211
Bankruptcy Services,  Attorneys,  General Practice Attorneys,  Legal Service Plans,  Bankruptcy Law
We The People
963 E Colorado Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 219-9200
Paralegals, Legal Document Assistance, Attorneys
Hurr Lauren S
19725 Sherman Way
Winnetka, CA 91306
(818) 812-9192
Bankruptcy Law Attorneys, Attorneys
Sun Raymond
20 Corporate Park # 155
Irvine, CA 92606
(949) 252-9180
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
12Law.com   |  NASHVILLE, TN USA   |  CONTACT US