12Law Arrow 12Law Arrow  Easy Questions  
12Law Arrow 12Law Arrow Instant Legal Documents

Cohabitation Agreement coming soon!
Separation Agreement coming soon!
No-Fault Divorce coming soon!
Bankruptcy coming soon!

Do I Need a Lawyer to File for Child Support in Avella, PA

Do I Need a Lawyer to File for Child Support in Avella, PA

You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
- Maya Angelou

In many scenarios it is not required to have a lawyer to file for child support. You can file for child support yourself by filing the appropriate forms at your local Probate and Family Court.

You can also get orders for: 1) protection from abuse; 2) establishing paternity; 3) custody and visitation; 4) divorce; and 5) modification of an existing child support order if circumstances have changed. After you file your complaint, you may need to get it served by a sheriff or a constable. While there may be filing fees involved, you may be able to get them waived if your income is low or if you are on public assistance.

Many judges are patient and understanding with plaintiffs who do not have a lawyer. Child support is usually a standard calculation based on expenses and income and the court can help in enforcing the support collection.The federal Family Support Act of 1988 required every state to establish numerical child support guidelines. The guidelines are designed to overcome three of the persistent problems in the award of child support: 1) insufficient levels of support; 2) inconsistency of criteria used by judges; and 3) inefficiency in the adjudication of child support. They also serve to make the process more straightforward for custodial parents seeking child support without a lawyer.

The state guidelines are designed to balance the child's needs and the non-custodial parents' ability to pay. In most states, the basic child support obligation is calculated by combining the incomes of the parents and multiplying that figure by the percentages set forth in the guidelines. These percentages vary according to the number of children. This number, the total child support obligation due, is then assigned to the parents according to the proportion of their individual contributions to the parents' total income. The guidelines may be modified to award additional support for 1) child-care expenses; 2) maintenance of health and life insurance, or reimbursement of health-care expenses; 3) private school and college tuition; and 4) child-care expenses for parents seeking work.

Courts have the discretion to deviate from the guidelines for unique circumstances such as: 1) educational needs of either parent; 2) the needs of other children supported by the noncustodial parent; 3) extraordinary expenses required for the noncustodial parent to visit their children. In most cases, child support is awarded based on wages of the noncustodial parent reported on income tax returns.

Support is based on parenthood not marriage and may be awarded during or after a marriage, in a divorce proceeding, or in a separate support proceeding whether or not the parties have ever been married. The proceeding is usually relatively simple, because the issues are generally limited to the application of guidelines percentages to the income of the parents. In most states, the court will order that the child support be deducted from the noncustodial parent's wages by their employer and transmitted automatically to the custodial parent.

If the noncustodial parent falls behind on child support payments, there are many enforcement vehicles available in most states. These include income garnishing (deducting money from the noncustodial parent's wages), making a negative report to credit reporting agencies, collecting past-due child support from lottery prizes, intercepting tax refunds, seizing property (e.g. real estate and bank accounts), etc.

Many states have a parent locator service. If the noncustodial parent lives in a different state, the Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act ("URESA") or a comparable statuteprovides for interstate collection of child support.

Transfers of assets to avoid payment of child support can often be set aside by a court. Furthermore, if the court determines that a parent transferred away resources to avoid child support obligations, that could form the basis for a finding of willful violation of a court order and result in a jail sentence.

Contact your local child support enforcement agency for more information.

If you are the noncustodial parent who is faced with child support that is more than you can pay, it may be possible to get the support order lowered to a more manageable level, especially if circumstances have changed.

Only you can decide if hiring a lawyer is right for you. Check out 12Law.com for listings of lawyers in your neighborhood.
Personalize & Print a Free PA Last Will Create This Document
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10
Personalize & Print a Free PA Living Will Create This Document
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Related Legal Services near Avella, PA
Diane Baker Law
27 S Arlene St
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717) 671-9600
Attorneys, Legal Service Plans, Criminal Law Attorneys, Family Law Attorneys, Divorce Attorneys, Rea
Mc Andrews Dennis
30 Cassatt Ave
Berwyn, PA 19312
(610) 648-9300
Attorneys,  Accident & Property Damage Attorneys,  General Practice Attorneys,  Legal Service Plans
Henry Debra L Law Offices
1011 Fells Church Rd
Belle Vernon, PA 15012
(724) 379-9166
General Practice Attorneys,  Attorneys,  Legal Service Plans,  Bankruptcy Law Attorneys
Sabatini Carlo
216 N Blakely St
Dunmore, PA 18512
(570) 341-9000
Bankruptcy Law Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans, General Practice Attorneys
Scheidt Jill M
50 E Philadelphia Ave
Boyertown, PA 19512
(610) 326-8940
Accident & Property Damage Attorneys, Attorneys, Criminal Law Attorneys
Meade James R
5 Acorn Ln
Boyertown, PA 19512
(610) 367-8884
General Practice Attorneys
Patterson Cody & Winters
470 Locust St
Columbia, PA 17512
(717) 684-8800
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys, Criminal Law Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
FitzPatrick Law Group, LLC
1235 Westlakes Drive Suite 295
Berwyn, PA 19312
(610) 400-8766
Attorneys,  Criminal Law Attorneys,  Family Law Attorneys,  Estate Planning, Probate, & Living Tru
Spyra Dennis J
525 Broad Ave
Belle Vernon, PA 15012
(724) 930-8584
Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Mazzei & Assoc
212 State St
Belle Vernon, PA 15012
(724) 929-8004
Bankruptcy Law Attorneys, Bankruptcy Services, Attorneys
Cummings Glen P
3915 Mount Troy Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
(412) 822-7530
Attorneys Support & Service Bureaus
Glenn P Cummings
3915 Mount Troy Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
(412) 822-7530
Attorneys Referral & Information Service, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Murphy Robert J
208 Chestnut St
Dunmore, PA 18512
(570) 343-7444
Attorneys,  Family Law Attorneys,  Estate Planning, Probate, & Living Trusts,  Accident & Property
Orlando Jr Eugene
300 E Philadelphia Ave
Boyertown, PA 19512
(610) 367-7443
Elder Law Attorneys,  Attorneys,  Real Estate Attorneys,  General Practice Attorneys
4 Northshore Assoc
106 Isabella St
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
(412) 359-7390
Banta Lynn
3282 Memorial Hwy
Dallas, PA 18612
(570) 675-7200
Montgomery McCracken Walker & Rhoads LLP
1235 Westlakes Dr Ste 200
Berwyn, PA 19312
(610) 251-7200
Accident & Property Damage Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Wade Law Office
1211 Monterey St
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
(412) 322-7200
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
D'Andrea Joseph R
320 N Blakely St
Dunmore, PA 18512
(570) 207-7113
Criminal Law Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Attorney William D. Thompson
320 North Blakely Street
Dunmore, PA 18512
(570) 207-7108
Attorneys, Corporation & Partnership Law Attorneys, General Practice Attorneys, Employee Benefits &
Dinello Darrin C
5405 Jonestown Rd Ste 101
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717) 909-6730
General Practice Attorneys, Attorneys, Legal Service Plans
Mccormick, Doug Travis Law Firm
102 Lorna Ln
Edinboro, PA 16412
(814) 734-6076
Attorneys,  Accident & Property Damage Attorneys,  General Practice Attorneys,  Legal Service Plans,
Kelly Parker & Cohen
5425 Jonestown Rd Suite 103
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717) 746-6056
Immigration Law Attorneys,  Attorneys,  Criminal Law Attorneys,  Legal Service Plans,  Administrativ
Richardson Jane
1436 Lancaster Ave # 240
Berwyn, PA 19312
(610) 647-5800
12Law.com   |  NASHVILLE, TN USA   |  CONTACT US